Lenovo is a multinational company, headquartered in Beijing, China. It’s products range from personal computers to lenovo mobile phones to IT Services. These wide range of products and services has made the company into one of the largest tech companies in the world. It has operations in 60 countries but sells its products in over 160 countries. It was founded by Liu Chuanzhi and a group of engineers in 1984. it became publicly traded in 1994 and was valued at $30 million. It entered the smart phone market in 2012. Ever since then it has been providing quality smart phones at low prices.
In recent years, Samsung and Apple has led the world smart phone market. Chinese manufacturers of smart phones are slowly taking over all the niches that have been left uncovered. After the US and the Korean companies, Chinese companies dominate the smart phone market share. In 2014, Lenovo acquired Motorala from Google for $2.91 billion. This was an attempt to expand its around the world and provide some stiff competition to the market leaders. However, in 2014 the Chinese government withdrew its subsidies on the marketing campaigns of state run carriers. This hurt Lenovo a lot. With weak branding and lack of distinguishable features, Lenovo mobiles fell behind the rest of the competition. Lenovo mobile has managed to bounce back from the setback with its plans to launch modular smart phones like LG and Google. This allows customers to customize various features of their smart phone, like the cameras, speakers etc.
The latest in Lenovo mobiles technology involves a smart phone which has been integrated with the Google Tango apps. Google launched 35 Tango apps, which would help the Lenovo mobile device to know its position relative to its surroundings through sensors and cameras. This transforms the smart phone into a powerful Augmented Reality (AR) device. it has designed handsets specifically for this integration to happen. With the powerful cameras and sensors, the Lenovo mobile devices can now design games that overlay interactive maps on a plane surface, or measuring anything around them. These phones are also Virtual Reality (VR) capable and users can fully immerse themselves in a virtual environment.
Despite these new future upgrades, Lenovo mobile devices fail to impress the general public. The leading companies, Apple and Samsung, have a strong grip on the market for now. Lenovo is trying to differentiate their products by innovating for the future and offering competitive pricing, as a way to drive more sales. However the brand image of Samsung and Apple seems to be over shadowing their progress. The main reason, for this being, Samsung and Apple have been able to connect with its customers better. Both the companies are known for their brand engagement and user experience. User reports have shown that the feel of the phone when it sits in their hand, is one of the biggest drivers of their decision making process. Both Apple and Samsung, have also invested heavily in their display features on their phones. They made their screens bigger without compromising the size or the integrity of the phone. The latest in Samsung innovation includes the “infinity display”, which gives the user a seamless integration of high quality display and great user experience. But the biggest advantage that these companies have over Lenovo mobile phones, is that they have huge marketing budget. As mentioned earlier, Lenovo’s marketing budget was cut short due to the interference of the Chinese government. Samsung and Apple used their budgets to create integrated marketing communications channels, combining all forms of outlets, to get the product out there for people to see. This created a much needed hype which in turn drove sales, when the phones actually launched.
Despite the relevant setbacks, Lenovo does produce and sell good phones all over the world. Some of the more popular Lenovo mobile phones are:
- Lenovo K6 Note: This Lenovo mobile creation is known for its superior sound quality and great battery life. This is come in line of the latest in the Note series. The Lenovo K6 Note has many upgrades from its previous model, the K5 Note. The Lenovo K6 Note has a 5.5 inch full HD display with pixel density of 401 ppi. The smartphone is powered by Android v6.0 (Marshmallow) operating system. It boasts an impressive 16 megapixel camera on the back with a dual tone LED flash and autofocus. It also has an 8 megapixel camera on the front. It also has 32 GB of internal storage and can be extended to 128 GB using a micro SD card. This device works with dual SIM, 4G, Wi-Fi with hotspot, Bluetooth, GPS and microUSB 2.0. One drawback of the device, is that the battery is non removable.
- Lenovo K6 Power: This Lenovo mobile creation is known for its great cameras and security measures, in the form of fingerprint sensors. This phone has been dubbed as the “Do it all phone”, by the Lenovo team. The phone has a 5-inch FHD IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1080*1920 pixels and with 441 ppi. Like its twin, the Lenovo K6 Note, this device also run Android v6.0.1 (Marshmellow) operating system. The phone has a 13 megapixel CMOS rear camera with LED flash and autofocus. It also has an 8 megapixel front camera. Some of the other features include Auto Flash, Continuous Shooting, Exposure Compensation, Face Detection, Geo Tagging, High Dynamic Range Mode (HDR), ISO control, Self timer, Touch to focus and White balance. The phone has an internal memory of 32 GB and can move upto 128 GB using an external memory card. The Lenovo K6 Power has dual SIM capabilities and offers a options like 4g, 3g, Wifi, Bluetooth and microUSB support. The device’s batter is non removable.
- Lenovo P2: This Lenovo mobile is popular for lightning fast processor and its sharp display. It is an extremely fast performing phone which runs on the Snapdragon chipset. The Lenovo P2 comes with a crystal clear 5.5 inch Super AMOLED full HD display with 401 ppi. It’s incredible performance comes from the 2GHz octa core, Cortex A53 processor, paired with a chipset of Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 MSM8953 and 32 GB RAM. This makes processes on the phone run faster and makes multitasking smoother. The device sports a 13 megapixel rear camera with a high resolution of 4128x 3096 pixels. It also has a 5 megapixel front camera. The device comes with 32 GB of internal storage which can be expanded by more 32 GBs through external memory. The Lenovo P2 32Gb is run by a massive 5100 mAh li- polymer battery. It has all the connectivity features like 4G, wifi, b/g/n, A-GPS, bluetooth, USB type C and NFC. The drawback of the phone is that it is very heavy compared to the other Lenovo Mobile devices.
- Lenovo Z2 Plus: This Lenovo mobile is known for its slim and lightweight paired with a powerful performance. It includes a 5 inch AMOLED display, Snapdragon 820 processor, 4GB RAM and runs on the Marshmallow operating system. The display has 441 ppi and has 2.5 D curved glass protection. This phone weighs in at 149 grams only and a slim width of 8.4 mm. the device has a 13 megapixel rear camera and an aperture of f/22 and includes face detection and autofocus. It also comes with an electronic image stabilization. The Lenovo Z2 Plus has dual SIM capabilities and offers a options like 4g, 3g, Wifi, Bluetooth and USB type C. It also has a finger print scanner for added security.
- Lenovo Vibe K5: The Lenovo Vibe K5 is known for its reasonable price for a good product. It is a very complete phone offering a balanced set of features. It is just 71mm wide and weighs in at just 142 grams. It has 5 inch touch screen with full HD capabilities. This mobile device runs on the Android 5.1 Lollipop operating system. The Lenovo Vibe K5 has a 13 megapixel rear camera with autofocus, flash and geo tagging. It also has a 5 megapixel front camera. The device has an internal storage of 16 GB and can be expanded to 128 GB using a microsSD card. It has dual SIM capabilities, wifi, bluetooth, GPS and supports both 3G and 4G LTE. The feature that stands out the most is the Dolby Atmos sound technology provides high quality audio.
The Lenovo mobile phones are a great bargain for anyone looking for a quality product for a reasonable price. Just because it doesn’t have the hype of a Samsung or an Apple, doesn’t mean that these phones are not on the same level.